WE DON’T REALLY KNOW HOW SERIOUSLY SICK OR INJURED KIDS FEEL ABOUT MISSING SCHOOL SO WE NEED TO LISTEN CAREFULLY
FOR MANY REASONS IT’S COMPLICATED FOR THEM TO TELL US
Listen Here! captures thoughts and feelings of almost 100 sick and injured kids about missing school.
Listen here! adopted a simple Post-it® Notes-plus approach designed to capture the feeling and thinking words (or pictures) that sick kids associate with missing school.
The contribution from kids (via the collaborating organisations noted below) were collected, pooled, randomly collated and presented in a video storyboard.
The kids’ contributions have been designed into colourful posters for display in some of the places where they receive care.
Kids told their own stories, in their own words, when we asked.
Watch and listen to the Listen Here! story here.
"THIS IS WHAT I THINK ABOUT WHEN I MISS SCHOOL"
"THIS IS HOW I FEEL WHEN I MISS SCHOOL"
Listen Here! was produced with support from the following organisations:
- Hospital Education Services, South Australia
- Mater Hospital Special School, Queensland
- Paediatrics at the Canberra Hospital, Australian Capital Territory
- Ronald McDonald House Charities (NSW, SA and WA)
- Royal Children’s Hospital Education Institute, Victoria
- School of Special Education Needs, Western Australia
- The Children’s Hospital School, Westmead, New South Wales